Experts have long debated whether digital marketing is better than traditional marketing and vice versa. As one highly respected Canadian internet marketing company stated, there are benefits to both traditional and digital marketing in Toronto. So, which one reigns supreme? Because these two strategies work in different ways, SEO experts take the best approach on a customer-by-customer basis. Experts have long debated whether digital marketing is better than traditional marketing and vice versa. As one highly respected Canadian internet marketing company stated, there are benefits to both traditional and digital marketing in Toronto. So, which one reigns supreme? Because these two strategies work in different ways, SEO experts take the best approach on a customer-by-customer basis.
Following is a brief description of each marketing strategy.
- Traditional Marketing – Traditional marketing is virtually anything that falls outside of digital marketing. Included are television, radio, newspapers, magazines, and even referrals. For each of these, there is a price to pay based on the medium, the size, and the scope of the marketing effort.
- Digital Marketing – This type of marketing refers to anything delivered via digital channels. For instance, this includes mobile apps, search engines, social media platforms, email, and websites. The primary difference between the two approaches is that digital marketing in Toronto relies on digital devices. As a type of inbound marketing, this disseminates information to a target audience. At the same time, it works incredibly well for promotional purposes and to help people find and connect with the business that published the content.
Application or Relation
To delve further into the debate as to which is better, traditional or digital marketing, consider their application or relation.
- Approach – Traditional marketing takes more of a personal approach, meaning it has a direct connection between the medium and the audience. For marketing that uses digital channels, the need for physical contact between marketers and the target audience diminishes due to an unlimited virtual range.
- Reach – With traditional marketing, the various mediums used typically reach only local targets. In comparison, digital marketing can reach local, national, and international targeted audiences.
- Shareability – Although people can hold onto and revisit material marketed through traditional mediums, there is no way to re-share it. The difference with digital marketing is that with so many social media platforms, it is easy to share content.
- Engagement – There is little interaction between a traditional medium and the audience. With a digital strategy, companies can engage with both existing customers and prospects through websites, emails, text messaging, and social media networks.
- Accessibility – For the target audience to access content, it must be present. As an example, a marketing message sent via television requires an individual to have a TV set in their presence. With digital marketing, the target audience can access content through numerous online channels in real-time while on the go using smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices.
- Measurability – The problem with traditional marketing strategies is that there are no viable means of measuring results. Because marketers have such a hard time getting relevant data, they struggle to determine whether efforts work. With a digital strategy, it is easy to record both data and results. For this, many experts use Google Analytics. This outstanding tool helps marketers get the information needed to measure performance.
- Relevance – Traditional marketing goes out to a broad audience, whether relevant to the product or service getting promoted. In comparison, digital marketing focuses on a specific audience that consists of people interested in what the company sells.
- Cost – Marketing through traditional mediums is usually quite expensive. A 30-second ad, whether on television or in print, will cost thousands of dollars. To better understand just how costly this marketing strategy is, consider that during the peak of the television series “The Big Bang Theory,” advertisers spent more than $344,000 for 30 seconds of airtime. With digital marketing, getting a message out is extremely affordable. In fact, depending on the channel, it might cost nothing. That means a search engine optimization company can advertise and market businesses at a much lower cost than traditional mediums.
Although there is value in traditional marketing, now that more than 55 percent of people around the world have a mobile device, it is imperative to use digital marketing to get and stay ahead of the competition. Often, a reputable search engine optimization company will use a mix of the two with the primary focus on digital marketing.